Milwaukee Bonsai Society sponsors a number of services for its members. First on this list is the monthly general membership meetings. Classes and Workshops are sponsored to provide hands on study. Along with these events MBS sponsors Exhibits and Shows.
Now is the time to renew your MBS membership for 2018. Renew Membership
Link of the Week
- Past links of the week can be found at the right most tab in Links. Where We Play
- Strava, makers of apps that allow people to track and share their athletic activities, have released a global heatmap, a visualization of the humanity’s collective athletic activities. The company highlighted some of the most interesting spots on the map using 27 billion miles of data representing over 200,000 years of hiking, biking, running, skiing, and other sporting activity.
- Bonsai Winter Care
- in our lovely Zone 4 or colder. Links to other articles as well
Select a tab below to check out what's coming up in the future!
- Monthly Meetings
- Exhibits and Shows
- Area Events
Monthly Meetings are open to the public and are usually held the first Tuesday of the month (check below for schedule) at 6:30 PM at Boerner Botanical Garden.
Want to learn more or have questions about our MBS Meetings?
9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Speacial Meeting - Guest Speaker – Dale Sievert - Magical World of Moss Gardening
|03/7/2017 6:30 PM||
Guest Speaker – Chris Baker - Taking Trees Out of Storage
|04/04/2017 6:30 PM||
MBS Presentation - Jin/Shari/Carving
|05/02/2017 6:30 PMWatch for more information in the May newsletter.||
Guest Speaker – Brian Huddleson - Plant Diseases
|06/06/2017 6:30 PM||
MBS Presentation – TBD
MBS Picnic and Swap Meet
|08/01/2017 6:30 PM||
MBS Presentation – tbd
|09/05/2017 6:30 PM||
Guest Speaker – Richard Eyre
|10/03/2017 6:30 PM||
MBS Presentation – Elms
|11/07/2017 6:30 PM||
MBS Presentation – tbd
Workshops are held at Boerner Botanical Garden. Artist Workshops are by reservation and Open Workshops are free for members.
|04/08/2017 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM||
Artist Workshop – Ted Matson
|07/15/2017 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM||
Open Workshop – Tropical Repotting
Bring a tropical tree to repot and enjoy the company of friends.
See the July Newsletter for more information
|09/09/2017 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM||
Milwaukee Bonsai Society – Beginner Workshop Get your feet wet (and hands dirty) by attending our Next Beginner Workshop. Members of the Milwaukee Bonsai Society will be on hand to help with the creation of your first Bonsai ‘masterpiece’!
|10/14/2017 2 Days||
MBS 47th Annual Exhibit- Artist Workshop – Matt Reel
|10/xx/2017 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM||
Open Workshop – Fall Clean-up
Exhibits and Shows are open to the public and are usually held at Boerner Botanical Garden unless noted.
|02/05/2017 9:00 AM||
Winter Silhouette Exhibit at the Domes
The Secret Gardens of Wauwatosa and Bonsai Exhibit
|08/03/2017 10 Days||
|10/13/2017 3 Days||
MBS 47th Annual Exhibit with Matt Reel
|11/17/2017 3 days||
Folk Fair An exhibit of trees from our membership from students to advance members. See the Folk Fair Flyer for details and times for this 3 day exhibit.
Classes start up each spring and several visiting artists arrive in Milwaukee to present new design ideas and techniques as well traditional bonsai style and techniques. Class participation is limited in size for registered participants only and you must be an MBS member.
- Novice Classes 2017
- 02/11/2017 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- 02/25/2017 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- 03/11/2017 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- 04/01/2017 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- 05/05/2017 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- Intermediate Classes 2017
- 03/18/2017 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- 04/22/2017 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- 06/17/2017 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- 07/15/2017 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- 08/26/2017 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- 09/12/2017 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- 10/xx/2017 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Bonsai Basics Classes 2017
- 08/26/2017 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- 09/23/2017 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- 10/21/2017 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- 10/28/2017 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- Advanced Classes Year 1 (2017) with Peter Tea
- 03/24/2017 8:00 AM – 2:30 PM
- 06/01/2017 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- 11/04/2017 8:00 AM – 2:30 PM
February 5 Winter Silhouette Exhibit at the Domes
In addition to the joys of snow during the winter and early spring months, we in the Midwest have an opportunity to view our landscape in the ‘raw’, that is, without the dressing of buds, leaves and flowers. For more details check out the Silhouette Flyer
May 12 - National Public Gardens Day - Hang out in the park.
Boerner Botanical Gardens
May 20-21 Midwest Bonsai Society -
Chicago Spring Show
May 25-28 ABS - Moving American Bonsai Forward
July 7-8 Mid-America Bonsai Alliance Exhibit
Aug 18-19 Midwest Bonsai Society -
Chicago August Show
Oct 13 - 15 MBS 47th Annual Exhibit with Matt Reel
An exhibit of the best trees of our members... along with trees in training. See the Annual Exhibit Flyer for details and times for this 3 day exhibit. And for current on-going information on the event see Annual Exhibit
Our meetings are held at:
Boerner Botanical Gardens
9400 Boerner Drive
Hales Corners, Wisconsin
For a map check the county maps at http://county.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups/cntyParks/maps/Whitnall1.pdf
Consider joining your best choice for bonsai fun, education, and community service, Join MBS, and let the fun begin.